My creative inquiries take my work in several directions—traditional painting, sculpture incorporating readymade elements, science-inspired and technologically-enabled sculpture, socially oriented public interventions—and across a wide range of mediums. Integrating these divergent approaches into an increasingly concentrated conceptual and practical synthesis, I explore ways to cross-pollinate work between fields, in particular between my life-long passions for art and science.
Expanding to include contemplative as well as operative use value, my work embraces transdisciplinarity and pluralism to compound meaning and expand the scope of viewer engagement. My public works regularly embody the underlying themes of placemaking, collaboration, and social capital.
Non-Resident Studio Advisors: Stacy Switzer, Raechell Smith
1. Jarrett Mellenbruch, A Busy Solitude (with detail), plaster, foam, wood, paint, various, 96in. x 48in x 40in., 2012
2. Jarrett Mellenbruch, Bust (including detail photo), wood, steel, stone, aluminum foil, sharpie, epoxy, 24in. x 24in. x 50in. , 2012
3.Jarrett Mellenbruch, Float (Detail photo), steel tubing, nylon rope hammocks, wood, hardware, variable dimension, 2014
4. Jarrett Mellenbruch, Float (Installation photo), steel tubing, nylon rope hammocks, wood, hardware, variable dimension, 2012
5. Jarrett Mellenbruch, Haven (Detail photo), wood, Corian, steel, aluminum, honeybees, 18ft. x 15in x 15 in., Date: Ongoing
6. Jarrett Mellenbruch, Haven (Site photos), wood, Corian, steel, aluminum, honeybees, 18ft. x 15in x 15 in., Date: Ongoing
7. Jarrett Mellenbruch, From the Everywhere to the Here (proposed sculpture of levitating sphere), Polished stainless steel, large permanent ring magnet, 10 Tesla superconductor electromagnet. Ongoing
8. Jarrett Mellenbruch, The Kansas City Tool Library, Various, Ongoing